The Shiley Eye Institute Ophthalmic Core is open to all UCSD Shiley Eye Institute researchers to aid investigators in producing quality histological slides at no cost. We have the equipment and expertise to produce sections from frozen paraffin-embedded tissues. We can produce routine hematoxylin and eosin stained slides, immunohistochemical and special stains.
With our lab, investigators will be better able to evaluate the pathologic consequences of various mutations or treatments. If you wish to use our services please fill out and return the Histology Core Request Form to Shiley room 210.
- Paraffin and OCT (flash freezing) embedding of tissues for histology
- Processing and Paraffin sections
- Specialized assays
- Light Microscopy
- Flourescent Microscopy
- Thermo Scientific Excelsior ES processor
- Thermo Scientific Microm HM 550 (OCT sectioning)
- Thermo Scientific Microm HM 355 (Paraffin sectioning)
- Miles Scientific Tissue-Tek Paraffin embedding system
- Life Technologies EVOS FL Auto imaging